[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 21:56:39 PDT 2011

Fair enough.  And, as I said the last time we all had this discussion, I've got nothing wrong with keeping a software renderer around as a reference implementation.  I think that's a good idea, in fact.  What I want to throw out is "all backends must support the entire rendering API, and you can't do XYZ in GDI/X11/whatever else, so we can't implement that."  Sacrifices must be made.  Toss GDI and X11 so we can build a rendering system that will stay relevant.

From: Ryan C. Gordon <icculus at icculus.org>
Subject: Re: [SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

> Please don't oversimplify what I say into strawman versions. That's a
> serious pet peeve ofmine.

Sorry, I misread what you said.

The software renderer isn't just there for Linux people without good GL drivers (these people are, generally, beyond our help anyhow for most modern games), but it's good to not be locked out of the strange platforms that pop up. I would argue that this was part of SDL 1.2's success.

As far as I can tell, that code is done at this point anyhow.