[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 21:54:42 PDT 2011

Please don't conflate "Linux", which is in use in a whole lot of places, with "desktop
Linux," (Linux on home PCs and laptops, in direct competition to home versions of
Windows and OSX,) which is specifically what I was talking about, and has
unfortunately but quiteverifiably alwaysbeena dismal failure when it comes to
capturing market share.  Again, I mean what I say, and not some other similar-sounding
thing that I did not say, and it drives me up the wall when people turn what I say into
strawman versions.  Especially when it's other programmers.  If anyone in the world
has no excuse for screwing up the interpretation of precise language, it's us!

I'm not saying that desktop Linux's low market share is good or that it's bad, only that
that *is*, and that it's a verybad idea to let ideology and personal preference trump
facts when it comes tomaking important decisions about the future.  And deciding
whether or not SDL will support modern rendering techniques is very important to
its future.  It will decide, more than anything else, whether SDL remains relevant
or fades into obscurity.  And SDL is right now caught at a classic "engineering
trinity" decision: "useful modern features, non-accelerated backends, all backends
supportingall rendering options. Pick two."  And it's been made quite clear that the
third pointis non-negotiable.

________________________________
From: Jeff Post <j_post at pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

On Wednesday 27 July 2011 19:29, Gato wrote:

> Now, about desktop Linux. Probably you don't use it, but that doesn't
> make it irrelevant. The support for OpenGL on Linux is much better than
> it was a few years ago, and will very likely only improve in the future,
> so I see no point in crippling SDL by not supporting Linux.
>
> Please remember SDL isn't only for the hardcore gamer. Many applications
> have been written using SDL, and I'm sure many more would benefit from
> features in SDL 1.3, like multiple windows, even if the OpenGL they're
> running on isn't blazing fast.

Well said, Gato. Far too many people seem to have the attitude that "since I
have no need of X, X is irrelevant for anyone". I could expound on why people
make such blatantly silly statements, but suffice it to say that they're
wrong.

And I second the opinions expressed by Bob Pendleton earlier; I think that's
the way to go. Currently I have no need of SDL 1.3 as 1.2 suits my needs, but
I like the direction 1.3 is going. When it's mature enough I'll make the
switch.

To Mason: the statement that Linux is less than 1% of market share is a myth
pushed on the public by Microsoft. It's not true. What the actual market
share is is unknown for various reasons that you can find out via Google (if
you care enough to find out),  but it is certainly considerably higher than
1%.