[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Wed Jul 27 21:55:02 PDT 2011

> Argh! Where are you people getting this from?

To be fair, you wrote a whole bunch about how the Linux desktop is
irrelevant, with one sentence about software renderers tucked in before
it. Smarter people than myself misread it, too.

More to the point: the software renderer isn't being held back. Sam and
I spent a long time debating how much the renderer APIs should do...it
wasn't really a question of how much does it make sense to implement in
software, but how much of API should we be creating when people should
really be using OpenGL or Direct3D. My argument was anything more than a
simple blit is wasted effort, and once you add rotation, people will ask
for every other piece of the fixed function pipeline.

So while the software renderer was probably a pain to build, it's built
now, and it's not holding back further development, because adding more
functionality to that API is a fool's errand.

We feel it's at the point where you can throw together a simple game
with some basic effects quickly, and if you need more, you should use
OpenGL.

--ryan.