[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Jeff Post j_post at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 27 20:06:14 PDT 2011

On Wednesday 27 July 2011 19:29, Gato wrote:

> Now, about desktop Linux. Probably you don't use it, but that doesn't
> make it irrelevant. The support for OpenGL on Linux is much better than
> it was a few years ago, and will very likely only improve in the future,
> so I see no point in crippling SDL by not supporting Linux.
>
> Please remember SDL isn't only for the hardcore gamer. Many applications
> have been written using SDL, and I'm sure many more would benefit from
> features in SDL 1.3, like multiple windows, even if the OpenGL they're
> running on isn't blazing fast.

Well said, Gato. Far too many people seem to have the attitude that "since I
have no need of X, X is irrelevant for anyone". I could expound on why people
make such blatantly silly statements, but suffice it to say that they're
wrong.

And I second the opinions expressed by Bob Pendleton earlier; I think that's
the way to go. Currently I have no need of SDL 1.3 as 1.2 suits my needs, but
I like the direction 1.3 is going. When it's mature enough I'll make the
switch.

To Mason: the statement that Linux is less than 1% of market share is a myth
pushed on the public by Microsoft. It's not true. What the actual market
share is is unknown for various reasons that you can find out via Google (if
you care enough to find out),  but it is certainly considerably higher than
1%.

Jeff