[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Torsten Giebl wizard at syntheticsw.com
Wed Jul 27 16:41:25 PDT 2011

Hello !

> I think that pulling the compat layer would speed development by
> freeing use from any need to stay compatible with 1.2. Right now every
> time anyone thinks of a change or addition you have to think "How will
> this effect compatibility?" Also, there is a bunch of code that is
> only there in 1.3 to retain compatibility. And, IIRC, some of it is
> wedged in to some really odd places.

Bob i agree 100% The biggest problem with the compat. layer
is that it is not 100% compat. with SDL 1.2. It misses some
functions. I tried to compile my own game with it and it fails
because of missing functions. Better than a compat. is having
good tutorials to advice the programmer how he/she can update his
code.

In the end people will have to install SDL 1.2 and SDL 1.3/2.0 in
parallel to be happy.

CU