[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Wed Jul 27 16:19:51 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Ryan C. Gordon <icculus at icculus.org> wrote:
> On 7/24/11 12:15 PM, Jonathan Dearborn wrote:
>>
>> I still favor bumping it up to SDL 2 before making the naming decisions,
>> since it is such a big, purposefully incompatible upgrade.
>
> To be fair, 1.3 was meant to be the unstable development version that
> becomes a stable 2.0.
>
> --ryan.

Hey Ryan,

The last time I tried to anything serious with 1.3 (a while back I
admit) I wound up adding the compile flag that disables/removes the
compatibility layer. I did that because the compatibility layer kept
messing me up. I would accidentally use something from the
compatibility layer and it would cause something to run really slow or
mess up in some other way and then I would spend time figuring out
what I was doing wrong. OK, so what I am trying to say is that we
should just dump the compatibility layer because it complicates the
code and confuses programmers and we should bump the version to 2.0 at
the same time all the compatibility code is pulled.

I think that pulling the compat layer would speed development by
freeing use from any need to stay compatible with 1.2. Right now every
time anyone thinks of a change or addition you have to think "How will
this effect compatibility?" Also, there is a bunch of code that is
only there in 1.3 to retain compatibility. And, IIRC, some of it is
wedged in to some really odd places.

Moving to version 2.0 will confuse a lot of people.... But, a lot of
people are waiting for it to happen too so it will generate a lot if
interest. Maybe get a bunch of people working on it again? So.... Drop
compat, move to version 2.0 add an extra . to the end of the version
and make it something like version 2.0.00000 and update the last part
of the version number for each patch so people can easily see how much
progress is being made. (Ok, you can ignore the last part, but please,
at least think about the rest of what I said.)

Bob Pendleton