[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Torsten Giebl wizard at syntheticsw.com
Sun Jul 24 10:18:10 PDT 2011

Hello !

> On this topic, I'd like to note that replacing SDL 1.2 with SDL 1.3 system-wide is a nightmare on Linux distros, I think that SDL 1.3 either needs to be ABI-compatible (thus distros would consider it a straightforward package upgrade) or have sdl12-config and sdl13-config scripts and so on, and of course differently named static and dynamic libraries by version.
>
> I realize this might be taken out of context - I'm not saying that major changes should occur to SDL 1.3 or not, I'm saying that the packaging situation should be sorted out before SDL 1.3 gets out of beta :)
>
> As it stands I'd like to use SDL 1.3 on all platforms but it's a thorny problem on Linux with distros not packaging SDL 1.3, and static linking being something that is generally frowned upon on linux (for security patch reasons).

I agree the user should be able to install SDL 1.3 in friendly coexistence to SDL 1.2.
The same is needed for the SDL Helper libs like SDL_image, SDL_mixer ...

I would like to see that in the future a system has a sdl-config for old SDL 1.2 sdl13-config for SDL 1.3.
Two versions SDL_mixer with different names on the same system, one for SDL 1.2 and one for SDL 1.3.

CU