[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 02:21:43 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Ryan C. Gordon <icculus at icculus.org> wrote:

> Open source things should, I hope, migrate to SDL 1.3's API eventually.
> When we get closer, I'll be begging for volunteers to start submitting
> patches for their favorite projects to do this.

The main hold back for people to start porting games is that SDL 1.3 breaks
SDL 1.2 installs.

We'd get more developers, more testers, more patches, more ports, and
generally more of everything once SDL 1.3 installs into its own area.

There is a decade of SDL 1.2 software that is unlikely to be ported to SDL
1.3 any time soon.  Installing SDL 1.3 into its own area will make it easier
for people to use old software, and use new software.  For now, many will
not use SDL 1.3 because it will break older software.

cheers,