[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Sun Jul 24 00:23:44 PDT 2011

> As it stands I'd like to use SDL 1.3 on all platforms but it's a thorny problem on Linux with distros not packaging SDL 1.3, and static linking being something that is generally frowned upon on linux
> (for security patch reasons).

(I agree we have some issues to sort out in this area, but...)

The 1.3 builds won't be 100% ABI compatible; Even with the SDL_compat
layer, I'd expect that there will have to be a legacy sdl12 package on
distros that need it, since SDL_compat isn't perfect and even if it was,
software-rendering games might suddenly work poorly when the screen
isn't an X11 window so much as a glX context. This is why we bumped the
library version number, though: so it can coexist with SDL 1.2.

Open source things should, I hope, migrate to SDL 1.3's API eventually.
When we get closer, I'll be begging for volunteers to start submitting
patches for their favorite projects to do this.

My policy has always been to ship a copy of SDL with closed source
games. It isn't installed by default on, say, Ubuntu, and if it is, I
can't guarantee it's built correctly (i.e. - Debian and/or Ubuntu has,
in recently times, improved the SDL package, but for a long time, it
wasn't built with good options for audio targets).

--ryan.