[SDL] SDL 1.3 status ?

Forest Hale havoc at ghdigital.com
Sun Jul 24 00:03:33 PDT 2011

On this topic, I'd like to note that replacing SDL 1.2 with SDL 1.3 system-wide is a nightmare on Linux distros, I think that SDL 1.3 either needs to be ABI-compatible (thus distros would consider it
a straightforward package upgrade) or have sdl12-config and sdl13-config scripts and so on, and of course differently named static and dynamic libraries by version.

I realize this might be taken out of context - I'm not saying that major changes should occur to SDL 1.3 or not, I'm saying that the packaging situation should be sorted out before SDL 1.3 gets out of
beta :)

As it stands I'd like to use SDL 1.3 on all platforms but it's a thorny problem on Linux with distros not packaging SDL 1.3, and static linking being something that is generally frowned upon on linux
(for security patch reasons).