[SDL] SDL Android: "Call to unimplemented OpenGL ES API"

Manuel Massing m.massing at warped-space.de
Fri Jul 22 10:52:35 PDT 2011

Hi William,

> Thanks for the reply Forest - where is the context specified, do you know?
> There are a lot of source files in the port - I'm guessing one of the Java
> glue files, right? I've used the SDK before but this is my first NDK
> project - guess I'm not going to avoid hacking around with things...

you will find the OpenGL ES context initialization code inside

	android-project/src/org/libsdl/app/SDLActivity.java

but as you have noticed, it is fairly limited (it does not support OpenGL ES
2.0 correctly).

To support more general context intialization, I have used the
EGLConfigChooser from GLSurfaceView.java (which is part of the
offical android opengl framework so it should be well tested on actual
devices) - see the attached patch.

Caveat: although easily remedied, the patch currently uses hardcoded values
for preferred rgb and depth-buffer bit depths (mirroring the default preferred
config in GLSurfaceView).

Select the EGL version using SDL_GL_SetAttribute, e.g. for OpenGL ES 2.0:

	SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION, 2);
	SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION, 0);

It would be great if someone could submit this patch.

cheers,

	Manuel