[SDL] [SDL_Mixer]: Preliminary music integration

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Jul 20 12:11:51 PDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 01:28 AM, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

>> So my patch never got merged, then? Anyone know why not?
>
> Inertia; I'm (very slowly) working through the backlog. I haven't even
> looked at it yet.
>
> SDL_mixer hasn't changed much recently, so merging won't be hard. I'll
> take a look at it when I get some time.

Would be nice to have this.  SDL_mixer's utility is currently very
limited due to its inability to play multiple streams.  Which is kinda
weird, since it's supposed to be a "mixer". :-)

Currently, I'm using the sample API to be able to play more than one
sound, and RAM usage suffers greatly, so do loading times (for example,
two MP3 files need to be decompressed intro RAM with SDL_sound,
consuming about 100MB each, and then loaded with Mix_QuickLoad_RAW()).
This stuff should really be streamed from disk instead.

Currently, SDL_mixer looks more like two different libraries (sample and
music APIs) in one source code package.  In a perfect world, we would
only have the sample API, and no support for anything else than raw
audio.  Then one would use SDL_sound for decoding, and SDL_mixer for mixing.