[SDL] Sound "pops" in SDL_Mixer -- any ideas for a fix?

VernJensen vern at actionsoft.com
Thu Jul 28 20:20:56 PDT 2011

On 07/15/2011 03:41 AM, Torsten Giebl wrote:
> Hello !
>

>> There's one MP3 track that when trying to load it with
>> Mix_LoadMUS_RW(), SDL_mixer thinks it's a MOD file and fails with
>> "Module format not recognized". Is there anything I can do about it?
>> When loading it, I know it's going to be MP3 data, but I can't find
>> any way to tell that to SDL_mixer.
>>
>> Touching the MP3 data itself is not an option, since the application
>> is a game engine (a bit like SCUMMVM) that runs pre-existing games
>> made by people I never heard about.
>>
>> I'm out of ideas :-/
>
> Would it be possible to publish a short MP3 that shows the problem
> and is 5-10 seconds long ? It would allow people to do experiments with it.

The whole file is just 2080 bytes.  It only contains a small amount of
silence in it.  The game tries to play it, and if it succeeds, it knows
that the system the engine is running in supports playback.

   http://foss.aegean.gr/~realnc/file.mp3

 From what I can tell at looking in the file, it was encoded with LAME.

I also have an FMOD backend implemented for the engine; FMOD plays it OK.