[SDL] SDL Clipboard API: Recommendations based on research

Sam Lantinga slouken at libsdl.org
Wed Jul 21 18:37:14 PDT 2010

Yeah, I started working on a mime type based implementation and then
quickly ran into the fact that to support image copying and pasting I
would have to implement fairly complicated image converters for the
various platforms.

I quickly simplified it for SDL 1.3 release, but I structured the
functions such that there's no reason we couldn't add mime-type based
functions and extended clipboard support in the future.  This could be
done now if someone is motivated to contribute it, or post release at
some point when someone really wants it.

See ya!

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Marcus von Appen <mva at sysfault.org> wrote:
> On, Wed Jul 21, 2010, Rene Dudfield wrote:
>
>> Hellos,
>>
>> you might find the api for this illuminating
>> http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/scrap.html
>>
>> using mime types seems sensible.
>
> Yes it does. We already offered technical support to Sam, so I can just
> repeat the offer here. The clipboard implementation for both, Win32 and
> X11 based systems is fairly stable within pygame and can act as a nice
> starting point to learn about the pitfalls (at least those, we ran
> into) and how to get a basic implementation done.
>
> Regards
> Marcus

    -Sam Lantinga, Founder and President, Galaxy Gameworks LLC