[SDL] how to draw an image mirrored?

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 10:08:35 PDT 2010

>From: Sam Lantinga <slouken at libsdl.org>
>Subject: Re: [SDL] how to draw an image mirrored?
>
>SDL currently doesn't support this.  It would involve lots of hacking
>of blitters (though it could be done!)
>
>If you think this is a really important feature, feel free to submit a
>patch.  The real trick here is supporting things besides OpenGL.

It's definitely an important feature, since I can't implement what I'm
trying to implement without it.  It shouldn't be too hard to write up
a patch.  The "real trick" is a stumbling block, though.

I still don't understand that part.  AFAIK no new personal computer
sold this century has been without hardware-accelerated video.  No
non-personal computer platform we're going to target (smartphones
and video game consoles) comes without hardware-accelerated
OpenGL or GL ES.  It's becoming more and more apparent that
trying to support other backends is holding SDL back.

Since SDL 1.3 isn't going to be used on any system without
hardware acceleration, is there any reason for it to support any
backends other than OpenGL, OpenGL ES and Direct3D?  Any
reason at all?  A couple years ago, when SDL 1.3 was still in the
planning and early development phase, there was a lot of talk on here
about removing unnecessary features (CD audio, for example) and
breaking backwards compatibility where it would hold SDL back.  Let's
put that into practice WRT renderer backends and make SDL 1.3 a
library for the 2010s, not the 1990s.