[SDL] SDL_CreateWindow Failing

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 08:03:17 PST 2010

An error at address 00000000 almost invariably means that something's trying to
dereference a null pointer.  Make sure your Config variable is assigned.  If so,
try tracing into the call in the debugger. Somewhere along the way you'll find a
null dereference.  If you can fix it, and it's an error in SDL instead of
stemming from a problem in your code, please submit a patch to Bugzilla.

________________________________
From: ebyard <e_byard at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [SDL] SDL_CreateWindow Failing

My app on my target system, Windows XP with a Radeon HD4600 (also tested with
another 2 XP systems) crashes when SDL_CreateWindow is called. I wrote a log
file of each line of code, and that's where it ends. The crash is very
inspecific:

Faulting application pr1026.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown,
version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

The code is just:

logFile->debug("SDL_SelectVideoDisplay \r\n");
SDL_SelectVideoDisplay(0);
logFile->debug("SDL_CreateWindow \r\n");
window1 = SDL_CreateWindow("WINDOW
1",0,0,config->getScrW(),config->getScrH(),SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN|SDL_WINDOW_INPUT_FOCUS|SDL_WINDOW_MAXIMIZED|SDL_WINDOW_BORDERLESS);

This all works fine on my 3x other Windows 7 systems so it looks like it's
limited to Windows XP.

I have built a program under SDL 1.2 which works fine - so it shouldn't be a
directx thing (??)

Thanks
Ed