[SDL] Questions about SDL 1.3

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 13:28:26 PST 2010

I see.  You're working with windows of different resolutions, but you want them
to all behave as if they were a fixed, predefined resolution and scale
everything properly to the actual resolution.

That's another problem I had to solve for my game engine, but I haven't
submitted the patch for it yet.  Basically, I implemented a way to give a
SDL_Window a "logical resolution" property independent of the physical
resolution.  This is trivial to implement on the GL renderer (and probably on
the D3D one as well) by simply setting the viewport to a different size than the
window's pixel size and letting the GPU handle the conversions.

I'd like to submit the patch, but it contains changes in a lot of the same files
as my render targets patch, and until that's applied to the source tree it'll be
really messy to make a patch containing only the "logical size" change set.