[SDL] Questions about SDL 1.3

Ken Rogoway Ken at HomebrewSoftware.com
Mon Dec 27 12:04:45 PST 2010

I've pointed that out in another post as well.  I keep hearing that scaling
doesn't work, but it works well and just as you (Mason) describe.

Ken

From: sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-bounces at lists.libsdl.org] On
Behalf Of Mason Wheeler
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2010 2:03 PM
To: sdl at lists.libsdl.org
Subject: Re: [SDL] Questions about SDL 1.3

Wait, what do you mean you can't scale with this?  When you draw a rect to
the renderer, if you make the width and height of srcRect different from the
dimensions of dstRect, it will scale.

  _____

From: ebyard <e_byard at yahoo.co.uk>

Intermediate textures are very useful indeed.

My big problem is that my target systems will be one of three screen sizes
(2x 512x384, 2x1600x1080 and 2x1024x768). I need to be able to draw a
finished "frame" to the window - something I can't do at the moment as you
can't draw Rects to the renderer.

Code:

SDL_RenderCopy(mgtTextures[scrNum],&srcRect,&dstRect);

..will draw stuff to the renderer, sure, but you can't do any scaling with
this. If you could copy to an intermediate texture, and then just do the
line above with NULL as the destination rectangle, everything would be OK.
Even then, the scaling stuff needs work as the quality is very poor. I can't
get 3 different sets of graphics made for each screen size  Sad
<http://forums.libsdl.org/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif>