[SDL] Questions about SDL 1.3 and audio callback function

Fox, Paul A. FOXPA1 at GCC.EDU
Sun Dec 26 19:18:50 PST 2010

>The execution time should always be a (fairly small) fraction of the
>buffer duration.
>
>Buffer duration in seconds = audio sample number / samples per second.
>I'm pretty sure that you want this value to be some fraction of a
>second for your particular app, instead of having a big buffer (see
>below for why), but I'm equally certain you don't actually get to
>choose what it is on some platforms.
>
>I'd suggest having a dedicated thread do the actual decoding, store
>the data into a temporary buffer, and have the callback read from that
>buffer.

Ah, OK, I was trying to avoid that to reduce overhead and simplify the program (especially since this is my first program using "heavyweight" threads), but if I can't afford that kind of delay, I guess I'll need a different thread to decode. In any case, I'm hoping this will run on older, single core machines, so I'm not expecting much real concurrency (hence, limiting the number of threads).

But in any case, wouldn't the decoding take the same amount of time no matter where I do it (hopefully much shorter than the audio buffer)? I'm just not sure if there's a "quick return" expectation with the callback (i.e. it gets called right before the samples are needed, rather than as soon as the previous buffer begins playing), it would be helpful to know when exactly it gets called, but maybe I'll have to actually grok the SDL source to figure that out, unless a dev can comment on that.

The documentation on the callback seems to be somewhat lacking in general. Maybe once I get it figured out better, I can improve that.

> I'm not seeing any mention in the documentation of a timestamp being
> passed to the callback, so I'm guessing you intend to provide that
> yourself.
>
>As I best recall, the callback is NORMALLY only used when the buffer
>that was previously provided starts being played (so, when buffer 1
>starts playing, SDL will request buffer 2), but I recommend providing
>some way for the user to adjust the video/audio sync offset/speed
>anyways, since this can potentially be an OS-specific trait.
>
>Regardless, I believe that you can't get progress information that's
>more accurate than the duration of the buffer without specialty
>hardware (the actual playback is often done by a cheap chip with 1+
>analog outputs, and the things apparently often don't provide progress
>info).

Right, I was planning on grabbing a timestamp from the decoder and sticking that info in a struct with the audio data. The video doesn't need really fine-grained timing, since it'll max out at 30 fps, which should be pretty coarse compared to audio chunks. My buffer size (requested) will probably be based on the minimum the decoder can decode at once, and I do want it to be small, since I'm trying to minimize delay in the audio (hence, why I'm using lower-level APIs and not something like gstreamer). I'll probably have to experiment a bit on different platforms, but hopefully I can get the audio pretty steady and low-delay cross-platform.

Thanks for your help!