[SDL] SDL 1.3 texture handling

Mason Wheeler masonwheeler at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 10:00:33 PST 2010

That's correct.  Each texture is specific to the renderer it's created for.
They're not "just memory," they're internal objects bound to the texture memory
of their renderer, created in system-specific ways to work with that renderer.

________________________________
From: ebyard <e_byard at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: [SDL] SDL 1.3 texture handling

Hi

Sorry for all the threads - I am getting busy developing a new game on 1.3 so
the problems are starting to raise their heads...

This one is a general question about textures, specifically, why when you create
a texture, does it only do so for the current
renderer that is selected?

Assuming you're running more than 1 window, then it's not possible to "share"
textures across the different windows which
sounds a bit crazy to me.

I need a cache of textures which I can display on any screen. They're just
memory, after all? The only way around now
(please tell me if I'm wrong) is to make 2 textures, one for each window, which
seems very wasteful of memory.

Thanks
Ed