[SDL] Attempting to make SDL wrapper for QB64 - First hurdle!

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Dec 7 13:07:32 PST 2010

On Tuesday 07 December 2010, at 21.04.00, Jeff Post <j_post at pacbell.net>
wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 December 2010 11:41, David Olofson wrote:
> > If you have a language that is already getting by just fine without
> > pointers, why open up that massive, evil can of worms at all? In a high
> > level language, pointers don't really solve anything that cannot be
> > handled much better with other constructs.
>
> Every language uses pointers, they just don't necessarily call them
> pointers.

Right, but the physical use of pointers to implement certain constructs is
just a language implementation detail. I don't see how that is relevant unless
the language actually allows you to mess with the pointers, C style.

Since any usable BASIC dialect has strings, arrays, functions and whatnot, and
people are still saying QB64 doesn't have pointers, I assume their definition
of "pointer" is something like this:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_%28computing%29

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |