[SDL] Building against a specific MS runtime version

ebyard e_byard at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 05:39:30 PST 2010

I'm writing an app which will go on an industrial system (or, hopefully, 6000 of them) and all the systems have version 8.0.50727.42 of the Microsoft VC80 (2005) redist installed.

The SDL 1.3 libraries (image, especially) seem to link 8.0.50727.4053 which is installed on my system (as is version .42, btw).
Of course, when you try to run it on the target system, it won't start, complaining that the Windows SxS (side by side) version isn't installed. Which is true.

Most people will say "install the latest redist file on the target", but NONE of them can be updated. This is a physical impossibility. My software HAS to work with 8.0.50727.42.

A google search brings some useless help from MS. Does anyone know anything I can do to resolve this?

Thanks
Ed