[SDL] [OT] Repeating timers

Donny Viszneki donny.viszneki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 17:12:25 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM, michael brown <n5qmg at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I want my viewer to play
> at normal speed as frames are being captured, yet stop when frames aren't
> being captured.

How do you tell if a video that isn't changing has "stopped?" If
you're using a reasonable VBR codec, then even the network
transmissions will drop off to basically nothing. If you use a filter
that can determine whether the scene is moving or not and reduce it to
literally no motion, which as I understand things is what you're doing
now, then it'll work great!

> I also want to be able to skip back and step thru the
> frames of someone that just drove by.  It's also nice to be able to hit a
> key and have the original JPEG instantly copied to another directory of
> heinous violaters. ;-)

Ah, hmm... I suppose one way to do this would be for the client app to
have a live mode and a non-live mode. Seeking from live mode would
automatically transition to non-live mode. You wouldn't even need to
use GStreamer for non-live mode on the server, as you could just share
the archive across the networking using Samba, Apache, or FTP.

> Perhaps I can easily accomplish this with
> GStreamer, but I'll have to spend some time digging thru it.  I wanted some
> instant gratification and pthreads is doing it for me right now.  :-)

Ah, I can understand that ;)

--
http://codebad.com/