[SDL] [OT] Repeating timers

michael brown n5qmg at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 10 16:49:55 PDT 2009

Donny Viszneki wrote:
> OT
>
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:21 PM, michael brown <n5qmg at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>> Donny Viszneki wrote:

>>> Hmm?
>>
>> The delay? Right now I can get "live" data to my vnc desktop window
>> with less than 500mS delay. Almost any streaming system that also
>> captures to disk is going to introduce 5 to 10 times that much delay
>> for buffering and other overhead.
>
> It sounds like you didn't even look at GStreamer...

You are correct, I haven't had time to really look at it yet.  I only
glanced thru the documentation quickly.  I do intend to spend some time
playing with it.  When I'm viewing in "real time", I want my viewer to play
at normal speed as frames are being captured, yet stop when frames aren't
being captured.  I also want to be able to skip back and step thru the
frames of someone that just drove by.  It's also nice to be able to hit a
key and have the original JPEG instantly copied to another directory of
heinous violaters.  ;-)   Perhaps I can easily accomplish this with
GStreamer, but I'll have to spend some time digging thru it.  I wanted some
instant gratification and pthreads is doing it for me right now.  :-)