[SDL] IMG_Load performance was Problem combining sw_scale with blit operations on surface

Donny Viszneki donny.viszneki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 10:09:09 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM, michael brown <n5qmg at earthlink.net> wrote:
> A little about what I'm trying to do:
> I have a v4l program that captures 640x480 frames at 30fps from a security
> camera.  When the program detects motion, it compresses the frames into
> individual JPEG files.  This all works great.  I'm trying to build a simple
> media player type application to review and/or animate the images at up to
> 30 frames/second.  This means I have to accomplish everything for each frame
> in less than 33mS.

This is a silly way to go about things. Don't wait for motion and then
capture a JPEG, just capture to a good VBR video, and write out extra
data about when motion occurs. You can get higher image quality at
higher compression ratios than in your current scheme.

Don't use SDL for this, use GStreamer!

--
http://codebad.com/