[SDL] GSoC 2009 ideas

E. Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:05:18 PDT 2009

> SDL_image:       moderately easy, just a lot of dependencies

Hi Holmes,
FYI, I implemented a native ImageIO backend for SDL_image for Mac OS X
and a native UIImage based backend for the iPhone. (This removes the
redundant dependencies on libjpeg, libtiff, libpng, libgif, etc. and
shrinks the binaries by about 10x.)

The UIImage backend however has a limitation in that the UIImage API
does not have a read from stream. So right now, the RWops solution is
imperfect because it must read the whole file into memory in one shot.
Unless Apple has addressed this in the new SDK, the only other
workaround I can think of is to reverse engineer how Apple is pulling
data from the NSData and then subclass NSData so it reads our data in
a more stream-like fashion.

But if this was of interest to you, this is what I imagine is the main
piece still missing for SDL_image on the iPhone. (Well, that and
actually testing what I implemented :P )

Thanks,
Eric