[SDL] [gsoc] Application proposal suggestion (SDL++)

Andrew Stone g.andrew.stone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:33:00 PDT 2009

I don't think that a simple wrapper where for example surface-drawing
"C" function calls are somehow "stuck" into class Surface is all that
valuable.  That is, the sort of stuff that can be accomplished via
header files alone.

A key thing to consider is that additional value is created from a
wrapper by creating an abstraction layer.  That's a term that is
bandied about a lot but often not truly understood.  An abstraction
layer provides a simpler yet possibly more powerful interface to a
more complex underlying interface.  So just having a 1-to-1
translation between C++ and C is not an abstraction layer.

What intrigues me about your proposal is integration of SDL with STL.
A long time ago, I did something similar; I integrated STL with MFC
(Microsoft Foundation Classes -- their old gui interface).  Basically
the idea was that the programmer used the STL APIs (say to manipulate
a list), and this list was "magically" connected to a GUI element; a
combo box, selection box, tree, you name it.  So if you change the
list, the GUI element changed on the screen, and so forth.

The idea was that you could basically manipulate the whole GUI using
STL APIs, and the only time you had to actually deal with MFC GUI was
the initial layout.  So I call this an "abstraction layer" since the
basic STL container APIs are much simpler (and consistent, and
well-known) than that horrible thing we used to call MFC. :-)

I wonder if something along those lines can be created for SDL?

Disclaimer:  I'm just a dev using SDL so don't really have any input
into GSoC mentoring...

Regards,
Andrew