[SDL] My thoughts on keyboard input in SDL 1.3

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Thu Jan 24 21:55:15 PST 2008

> Tools, not rules. You can't force people to do things the way you think
> they should be done. Personally, seeing "[1]" does not tell me that I
> should press a key on the key pad. To me i just means press a 1 key
> somewhere on the keyboard. It is better to give someone a tool that lets
> them do what they want rather than to force them to work around what you
> think it should be.

Although currently the convention is that if SDL_GetKeyName() returns
something in brackets, that thing is on the numeric keypad.  If an app
wants to indicate that differently, it can simply scan the name returned
for brackets and transform it appropriately.

That's the way it works in SDL 1.2, and I'm loathe to add a new API
function or add a bit simply to indicate a key is on the numeric keypad,
at least without a good reason. :)

Or am I missing something?

See ya,
	-Sam Lantinga, Lead Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment