[SDL] SDL tampers with display power settings on the sly

Erik esigra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 01:26:07 PST 2008

Erik skrev:
> Sam Lantinga skrev:
>> SDL turns off screensaver by default because 99% of the applications
>> which use SDL are games or media players,
> I get the point about media players, but games?!?
That might be interpreted as if I think that the current SDL behaviour
is fine for all media players, but it is certainly not. The only kinds
of applications that the current SDL behaviour sort of works for is the
very simple kind of media players that just start, play a movie and then
terminate, called from the command line like this:
% mediaplayer filename

(How many % of SDL applications are like that?) For all other
applications, the current SDL behaviour breaks things. Suppose that
there is a media player that not always plays a movie. Maybe it shows
some file selection dialog when started without a filename on the
command line. It has no excuse to mess around with display settings
until a file has been selected and it actually starts playing something.
Likewise, if the movie stops playing, the screensaver should be enabled,
even if the application does not terminate.