[SDL] ALT+TAB mouse problem FreeBSD

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:18:47 PST 2008

I am experiencing a problem with a video game that I compiled by hand.
My operating system is FreeBSD 7.0 RC2 and the version of SDL installed is
sdl-1.2.11_2,2 (installed via ports system).

The game I'm compiling is based on quake3; it's called Urban Terror.  I am
compiling the game against SDL so that ALT+TAB would allow me to switch
between the game and the desktop.

The problem is when I run the game in non-fullscreen mode (window mode).  In
fullscreen mode the game has no problems.  I can switch between fullscreen
and non-fullscreen by pressing ALT+ENTER.

When I run the game in non-fullscreen mode and after I use ALT+TAB to switch
to another app and then back to the game, the mouse starts acting funny.
It's as if the mouse all of a sudden is limited by some imaginary
rectangular region.  The expected behavior is that if I move the mouse to
the left side, for example, the player will rotate to the left
continuously.  The behavior that I am getting is that once the mouse is
moved to the left (or right) by a certain amount, any further movement in
that direction has no effect.  Like I'm hitting a wall or something.

I would like to know whether this is an SDL problem or something else.
Thanks in advance.