[SDL] SDL test program error: No available video device

degras danwgrace at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 05:09:40 PST 2008

When I run a SDL (simple direct layer) test program it gives the following
error:
Unable to initialize SDL: No available video device

..this happens when calling SDL_Init:

if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_AUDIO) != 0)

The program is compiled in KDevelop as a SDL program.  By the way: there is
no sound in the kdecontrol panel when I click "test", whereas aplay works no
problem.   I am using Gentoo Linux.

How do I configure SDL, assuming that is what is wrong ?

Thanks