[SDL] SDL 1.3 and Menus

Donny Viszneki donny.viszneki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 12:55:24 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Mason Wheeler <masonwheeler at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I recommend learning to use GTK+. It's very well suited to this sort
>>of task.
>
> A bit offtopic, but what's the difference between GTK+ and GTK? Because
> from what I've heard, GTK is so horrible that even the open source people
> don't like working with it.  Case in point, from the Lazarus project dev blog
> ( http://lazarus-dev.blogspot.com/2008/06/amazing-features-in-0926.html )

I learned GTK+ because Qt was based on C++ rather than C. I've also
heard that Qt is much easier to use, but I went with GTK+ so that I'd
have experience with the GUI toolkit used by OLPC. FWIW the
"TTrayIcon" example given by the Lazarus developer sounds like an
atypical situation.

Using Glade and PyGTK I would compare development time of most typical
applications to be similar to what you get with Visual Basic, with the
notable advantages that your applications are more portable and you
don't have to know Visual Basic.

glib is also a great library to have around. The glib "main loop"
event dispatching subsystem is a wonderful provision for a very common
application design requirement.

But take this review with a grain of salt: I've never used Qt, but I
have one friend who has used both, and this is what she had to say
about it:

(3:43:53 PM) Me: hey which do you prefer hacking with? gtk or qt?
(3:50:39 PM) Quinn: C++ sucks usually
(3:51:00 PM) Quinn: and QT uses a preprocessor too
(3:51:08 PM) Me: yikes
(3:51:16 PM) Quinn: signal/slot thingy
(3:51:48 PM) Me: is that related to that preprocessor?
(3:51:56 PM) Quinn: that's what its for
(3:52:28 PM) Me: oh
(3:53:49 PM) Quinn: I prefer gtk in general, but I prefer kde in general
(3:53:52 PM) Quinn: so I'm kinda stuck
(3:54:03 PM) Quinn: that is I prefer to use kde, but I prefer to code in gtk

--
http://codebad.com/