[SDL] problems loading ogg and wav music.

James Barrett xucaen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 17:23:54 PST 2007

Solra Bizna wrote:
> On 12/23/07, James Barrett <xucaen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's been a while since I've used SDL_Mixer, but when I did I used
> both Ogg files and (if I remember correctly) a FastTracker module
> without problems.
> Can you get a backtrace from the crash? Without a backtrace, debugging
> this will probably be impossible. It'd also be helpful to know what
> platform you're on and what compiler you're using.
> As for MikMod, it is specifically a library for loading tracker
> modules. It itself can't load formats like MP3 or Ogg (or WAV). For
> more information, see the Wikipedia article on the subject:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_(file_format)
> -:sigma.SB

The strange thing is that ogg sound effects play perfectly. It's just
the playing as music that causes the crash. Maybe there is something
different in the internal structure of an ogg music file?

I am running Debian Linux (Etch) with stable deb packages fro SDL and
SDL_mixer.
SDL 1.2.11-8
SDL_mixer 1.2.6-1.1+b2

and GNU compiler:
GNU Make 3.81
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

Of course today I tried to fix the problem by compiling and installing newer versions of SDL_mixer and libvorbis. No change at all after installing those.

jim