[SDL] SDL 1.3 - a couple of mousey questions

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Thu Dec 13 09:18:34 PST 2007

> how much has ( if anything ) changed on the event loop, how do i ask the
> seperate mice what they are doing?

This isn't implemented in SDL 1.3 yet, but likely the "which" field in
SDL_MouseMotionEvent will start to have meaning. Those that ignore it
will just get behaviour like they currently do in SDL 1.2: all mice
input looks like 1 mouse.

If you want to play with this in 1.2, the 1.3 code for this will be
taken from ManyMouse:

    http://icculus.org/manymouse/

A quick-and-dirty example of using it:
http://svn.icculus.org/*checkout*/manymouse/trunk/example/test_manymouse_stdio.c

An SDL example of ManyMouse:
http://svn.icculus.org/*checkout*/manymouse/trunk/example/test_manymouse_sdl.c

All the docs:
http://svn.icculus.org/*checkout*/manymouse/trunk/README

> what mice will be usable? a ps/2 and a usb? 2 usb mice? where does this info
> come from?

All of them in most cases (Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux tested).

Windows will use the rawinput interfaces, and it works with PS/2 and USB
mice; Mac OS X uses the HID Manager API (which only supports USB, but
there aren't PS/2 ports on a Mac), Linux uses /dev/input/*, and works
with everything. Eventually we'll get XInput support working, if x.org
got their hotplug extensions worked out.../dev/input works with and
without an X server.

> what about SDL_Pointer? are two mouse pointers displayed if there are two mice?

There will not be two pointers, as all OSes only supply one...you'll
have to hide the system pointer and draw your own for each mouse.

--ryan.