[SDL] tips for a beginner

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Fri Sep 29 09:01:34 PDT 2006

> I'm a complete beginner to game programming, but I've a lot experience in C
> and C++. I've surfed the web and I found some good links about game design,
> or engine design, but I thought it would also be good if someone could
> provide a few tips or some more links for a beginner :)

This isn't really a generic Game Development discussion list...they
certainly exist elsewhere, though! But here's some really basic advice:

I'd recommend doing a lot of reading, and checking out various open
source games, some of which were massive commercial successes before
being opened, like Quake 3 Arena.

Also, don't get discouraged, it's sort of a large and overwhelming
topic. Don't try to reimplement World of Warcraft on your first day.  :)

--ryan.