[SDL] SDL Joystick troubles

William Brodie-Tyrrell william at brodie-tyrrell.org
Thu Sep 28 10:04:02 PDT 2006

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Mark Jenison said:

> The strange thing is that if I move the joystick to the lower right, the
> program begins to stutter.  If I go all the way to the lower right, it
> actually locks up the program.  I experience the same thing in the SDL program
> I wrote using an entirely differnt joystick routine (events vs the joystick
> apies).

As I understand joysticks, they're just a variable resistor through
which a capacitor behind the gameport is slowly charged.  I think a
typical joystick driver will poll the game port to determine when the
voltage on that capacitor reaches a threshold, the time taken defines
the resistance.  If your resistance is too high, it will take a long
time and the game can lock up in the polling loop.

Maybe.  Or maybe I'm misremembering, but if I were you I'd check the
resistance on your pots and connections.

--
William Brodie-Tyrrell

Carpe Diem - fish of the day.

<william at brodie-tyrrell.org>