[SDL] Hardware aceleration in Linux (windowed)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Sep 28 07:11:32 PDT 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 14:51, André Wagner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there's any way I can get hardware aceleration in Linux? (in a
> window, not fullscreen)

Well, there is DGA, but I have no idea about it's current state WRT
driver support (accelerated blits, that is), windowing support,
security issues etc.

XRender seems to be the proper way of doing it now, but I'm not sure
about the state of driver support. Never seen it fully accelerated
myself, and I'm not even sure it's possible unless you happen to have
the "right" video card. (The only sensible option would be
implementing it over OpenGL, it seems to me. As long as all serious
hardware is closed, we're not going to see any serious drivers for
anything else.)

So, I would suggest OpenGL. It's *the* API for serious accelerated
rendering, and there are tried and tested drivers for most video
cards.

If you still want to use the SDL API, you might get away with using
glSDL (wrapper or backend patch), until SDL 1.3/2.0 (which has
renderers for OpenGL and Direct3D) is mature enough.

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |
|     http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting         |