[SDL] SDL_Mixer help

Steaphan Greene stea at cs.binghamton.edu
Mon Sep 25 14:26:04 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:46:52PM -0400, Steven Bradley wrote:
> I am a little puzzled with a program I am working on. As the title implies,
> I am using SDL. My problem is with playing music files. I have animation,
> sounds, input, and collision detection all working fine. The sounds are also
> using SDL_Mixer.
>
> What happens is the music file loads fine (I have tried midi, mp3, ogg, and
> wav) but only plays the first second and then repeats indefinitely. If I put
> a call to SDL_Delay(xxxx) in there the music plays for the duration of the
> delay without a problem.

Just a guess, but it seems your main program is eating all the CPU and
your audio mixer subsystem can't get a moment to update the buffer.  Try
adding SDL_Delay(10) to each iteration of your main loop and see if that
gives it the time it needs.

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu>
Lecturer, Computer Science, Binghamton University