[SDL] [patch] OS X carbon SDL_WINDOWID support

Christian Walther cwalther at gmx.ch
Sun Sep 24 00:29:10 PDT 2006

earl wrote:
> The SDL FAQ reminds us that "most graphics back-ends are not
> thread-safe".  However it should be OK to call SDL video functions
> strictly from a single thread even if that thread is not the main thread
> of an application, right?

No. Many windowing systems explicitly require to be called only from the
main thread. At least that used to be the case with Cocoa, as far as I
remember, though it seems that the restriction has been somewhat
weakened in recent versions. See
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Multithreading/articles/CocoaSafety.html>
for details about what you can and can't do from non-main threads.

  -Christian