[SDL] SDL Joystick calibration

Mark Jenison jenison at enteract.com
Fri Sep 22 07:40:38 PDT 2006

Peter Mulholland <darkmatter <at> freeuk.com> writes:

> Hello Mark,
>
> Friday, September 22, 2006, 4:23:15 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I'm porting an Allegro application to SDL and have a few questions about
> > joystick support in SDL:
>
> > 1) Does SDL use the windows joystick calibration data?  I calibrated a
> > joystick via Windows Game Controller plugin, and although it shows centered
in
> > the plugin test, the cursor is way offset using the SDL test program
> > testjoystick.c
>
> Be aware that SDL defaults to the "wingdi" backend currently. This
> would use the old multimedia API's for joysticks, which AFAIK don't
> follow the calibration data.
>
> If you make your program use the DirectX backend, it will use
> DirectInput which should take the calibration into account.

Thank you for your response.

I re-ran configure in SDL-1.2.9 and I see it reports no directx headers or
libraries.

So, using SDL 1.2.9 on Windows 98, I just need to install DirectX and the
DirectX SDK, re-run configure; make; make-install on SDL, link in some
additional directx libraries, and that should fix this issue?  Or do I need to
include some additional -D flags to my compile?

Just need some clarification on how to go about this.  Thanks.