[SDL] Multiple SDL display windows

Vassilis Virvilis vasvir at iit.demokritos.gr
Wed Sep 20 08:36:38 PDT 2006

Tnarol wrote:
>>Under 1.2 no. This is part of 1.3 but that's in development at the
>>moment.
>

> OK. That's good news.
>

>>Should be no restriction on having more than one process open SDL.dll
>>but they won't share any data between them.
>

> I didn't mean to share data between them, I meant problems like concurrent
> access from 2 processes on the same method of the DLL. I don't know exactly how
> dynamic linking is managed - so my point may be irrelevant if a new process for
> the caller implies a new process for the DLL for instance.

It is loaded in a different process' space. Although I don't have any experience
with windows I don't expect any problem of that nature. However if you want to use
SDL in a non windowed environment like linux fbdev it is possible you will hit some
problems regarding concurrent access to the same hardware (framebuffer).

      .bill