[SDL] SDL 1.3 Update

Sami Näätänen sn.ml at bayminer.com
Thu Sep 14 16:14:29 PDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 19:38, Torsten Giebl wrote:
> Hello !
>
> > How about modifying the sdl-config to use
> > --use-version=<version wanted>
> > or --at-least=<lowest version accepted> and
> > --at-most=<highest version accepted> for more control.
> >

> > sdl-config could assume sdl 1.2 if none of these are specified.
> > This would allow more installed versions than just two. This way
> > one could have SDL 1.2, 1.3 and development installed at the
> > same time.
> >
> > This would be totally future proof concept as I can see it.
> >

> > This of course would also need the change to the linking flags etc
> > of the sdl-config so that the correct version of the library would
> > be used.
> >
> > The only change for SDL 1.2 program would then be to add one option
> > for the sdl-config to try out of the SDL 1.3 compatibility layer.
>
> The problem is not modifying sdl-config to put out the right
> include and libs stuff. When you have the source code from
> a game for example it is no problem to recompile it using
> a comp. header so that in the end it uses SDL 1.3, but for
> most commercial apps you do not have the source from.

But those would automatically use the correct SDL if the libSDL.so
symlink points to libSDL-1.2.so.0 (ie SDL 1.2 library). SDL 1.3 would
be libSDL-1.3.so.0. So every new compilation using the sdl-config could
chose which SDL lib to use.

> Under Windows you just put the old SDL12.dll in the
> directory, but on Linux the app searches for the correct sdl lib.
> You would need a comp. lib that is 100% API and ABI compatible
> to the old SDL 1.2.

As I stated there is nothing that can stop you from using more than one
SDL library in the same place.

> The easiest solution is to allow SDL1.2 and SDL2.0
> to be in the same place.

As it can be. The only additions are SDL 1.3 has to use different
include dir say SDL1.3. I would change SDL 1.2 to SDL1.2 too and made
symlink for compatibility. Now sdl-config can do all the necessary
parts. This isn't restricted to two versions either.
No hasels with different sdl-config scripts.
The newest can allways provide compatible behaviour for the older
libraries.
After all this is the way this should have been in the first place. :)

> FLTK FLTK2
> GTK GTK2

This is artificial hacking, because of braindead package managers.
For example in Gentoo there is no such packages as GTK2. Only
different versions. There can be installed one version for gtk+-1.x and
one for gtk+-2.x. And when gtk+-3.x comes it will add another slot.