[SDL] SDL 1.3 Update

Torsten Giebl wizard at syntheticsw.com
Thu Sep 14 09:38:56 PDT 2006

Hello !

> How about modifying the sdl-config to use
> --use-version=<version wanted>
> or --at-least=<lowest version accepted> and
> --at-most=<highest version accepted> for more control.
>

> sdl-config could assume sdl 1.2 if none of these are specified. This would
> allow more installed versions than just two. This way one could have SDL
> 1.2, 1.3 and development installed at the
> same time.
>
> This would be totally future proof concept as I can see it.
>

> This of course would also need the change to the linking flags etc of
> the sdl-config so that the correct version of the library would be used.
>
> The only change for SDL 1.2 program would then be to add one option for
> the sdl-config to try out of the SDL 1.3 compatibility layer.

The problem is not modifying sdl-config to put out the right
include and libs stuff. When you have the source code from
a game for example it is no problem to recompile it using
a comp. header so that in the end it uses SDL 1.3, but for
most commercial apps you do not have the source from.

Under Windows you just put the old SDL12.dll in the
directory, but on Linux the app searches for the correct sdl lib.
You would need a comp. lib that is 100% API and ABI compatible
to the old SDL 1.2.

The easiest solution is to allow SDL1.2 and SDL2.0
to be in the same place.

FLTK FLTK2
GTK GTK2

and so on