[SDL] SDL 1.3 Update

Sami Näätänen sn.ml at bayminer.com
Thu Sep 14 09:01:21 PDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 09:58, Sam Lantinga wrote:
> > only testwm2 does nothing, okay it shows a window border.
>
> That's what it's supposed to do. :)
> It's the first test I run of a new windowing system driver,
> when the rendering subsystem may not yet be implemented.
>
> > The first thing i would like to have changed
> > is to be able to install it in the standard
> > locations.
>
> It's on the TODO list, but I'm holding off, debating whether to use
> the prefix SDL13 or SDL2

How about modifying the sdl-config to use
--use-version=<version wanted>
or
--at-least=<lowest version accepted> and
--at-most=<highest version accepted> for more control.

sdl-config could assume sdl 1.2 if none of these are specified. This
would allow more installed versions than just two.
This way one could have SDL 1.2, 1.3 and development installed at the
same time.

This would be totally future proof concept as I can see it.

This of course would also need the change to the linking flags etc of
the sdl-config so that the correct version of the library would be
used.

The only change for SDL 1.2 program would then be to add one option for
the sdl-config to try out of the SDL 1.3 compatibility layer.