[SDL] Refresh rate patch - worth it?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Tue Sep 12 01:34:46 PDT 2006

> And I for one would *really* like to see another 1.2 release with these
> features available, i.e. environment variables so the user can ovveride
> physical width, physical height, and refresh rate.

I'm making a totally unauthorized executive decision here: no more API
changes in 1.2.

Doing so just removes momentum from 1.3, and makes us spend time moving
them back and forth between Subversion trees.

There will definitely be at least one more 1.2 release for bugfixes, and
new video/audio/etc backends and platform ports should probably be
welcomed if they don't require major surgery to the rest of the library.

1.2 still has legs, as we have a lot of foundational work to do on 1.3
still. But all work on it needs to be support and bugfixing of the
existing codebase.

And naturally, the 1.3 API can still be added to, subtracted from, and
just generally mangled with reckless abandon (well, okay, okay: added
to!) ... discussions on new features should really happen there.

--ryan.