[SDL] Nonconstant arguments on SDL functions

Steaphan Greene stea at cs.binghamton.edu
Fri Sep 8 04:56:03 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 01:50:12AM -0400, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

> > Checking the source code on SDL_ttf, I didn't see any read-only functions
> > with const arguments. I noticed the same thing on SDL functions such as
> > SDL_SaveBMP (receives const char* and why not also const SDL_Surface*?). Is
> > this as it is really supposed to be?
>
> [...]
>
> Lots of these could be retrofitted into SDL 1.2 without breaking API or
> ABI compatibility, but no one's really spent the time yet.

A few monts ago, I did send a patch for exactly this problem, which
corrected the basic SDL_ttf functions' const-ness of pointer args (some
of those which you'd think should be const can't be due to caching of
glyphs within the struct).  Should I resend this?

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu>
Lecturer, Computer Science, Binghamton University