[SDL] SDL 1.3 and rendering API state management

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Thu Sep 7 06:51:37 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 09:05 +0200, Juanval wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Bob Pendleton <bob at pendleton.com> wrote:
> > > And what if you want a GUI on top of your 3D environment?
> >
> > In the same window? Then you use the 3D API and build a GUI from scratch
> > or find one that works that way.
> >

> > > Honestly, the best way is to choose one graphics lib (OpenGL, whatever) and
> > > get your toolkit to use this for all of your drawings.
> >
> > That is not always the case. It makes perfect sense to implement a drop
> > down menu as a 2D window that is drawn on top of all other windows. Not
> > even hard to do using any modern windowing system.
>
> Well, I wouldn't use that little trick if I hoped my program to work
> well with some weird window managers in Linux (like Ion, wmi, etc)
> that manage the window positions as they see fit, and not as the app
> asks them to.

To the best of my knowledge it always works on X11 when the drop down is
a subwindow of the application window. The window manager is supposed to
let you manage those by it self. On the other hand, using weird window
managers is its own reward, you get what you asked for.

	Bob Pendleton

> Just my 2 cents...
>
> see ya

+ email: Bob at Pendleton.com             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +