[SDL] SDL_Video - Help with fullscreen, suppressed mouse

Peter Mulholland darkmatter at freeuk.com
Thu Sep 7 04:37:26 PDT 2006

Hello Damian,

Thursday, September 7, 2006, 12:34:02 AM, you wrote:

>  Okay, I'm just about to give up.  Some suggested the SVN snapshot might
> offer a fix for this however, after trying my best to compile from svn I
> give up! I had to install MSYS, ActivePerl (I assume this will work)

You just discovered mingw is not a proper Unix environment which is
what the build scripts expect. If you want to build SDL I would
recommend cygwin instead. You can use the built binaries with mingw.

> I just want to display a fullscreen SDL app with the mouse
> pointer suppressed and get accurate mouse click coordinates. Is SDL not
> ready for prime time yet? I don't mean this as an insult but this seems
> like a fundamental problem that is making me wonder what I am doing
> wrong over and over again.

>  I really would like to use SDL, but the support for it seems rather
> lacking.  If I was trying to do something fancy with OpenGL I could
> understand the slow response. But trying to get a suppressed mouse to
> register clicks correctly?

This works for me with the DirectX backend. Be aware that as of late,
the default backend is GDI (which I don't agree with). You can switch
it either by a) building your own SDL with *only* DirectX support or
b) inserting the following line before you call SDL_Init()

SDL_putenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx");

>  One last wave of asking for help and then I give up.  I'll have to use
> direct win32 calls and scrap SDL as not being mature enough (which is
> what my customer is interpreting what I am telling him about the snafu).

I've used it in several commercially shipping Mac games.

>  Would updating my ticket in bugzilla get a quicker response? Is there
> another official response path that I can go?  I'm willing to put in as
> much effort as I can to assist but I'm not sure how to get assistance.
> Other than the ticket assigned to someone on the same day I posted it
> (8/23), nothing has happened to the ticket since I first put it in.

Such is the nature of open source. The benefit is, as you have the
source to SDL, you can dig into the bowels of it and find the problem,
and fix it. Yes, this is another job to do when you're developing
something commercial, but it pays for itself quickly.

--
Best regards,
 Peter                            mailto:darkmatter at freeuk.com