[SDL] SDL 1.3 and rendering API state management

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Sep 5 08:14:47 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 16:46, Bob Pendleton wrote:
[...]
> > The problem is that the SDL_TextureID returned from
> > SDL_CreateTextureFromSurface() is just an internal identifier, and
> > there is no API to get an OpenGL texture name or a Direct3D
> > texture interface object pointer from that.
>
> That sounds like a minor API bug. You just need an API to let you
> get at the texture id that SDL has hidden away somewhere else. Just
> like the window id hack that is used to get Windows window ids for
> people who want to tweak them directly.
>
> That is easy enough to add and does not add complexity to the over
> all design.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There is a minor issue though; OpenGL
uses an integer ID, whereas Direct3D uses a pointer to a texture
interface object. I suppose one could typedef something that will
work for both, on a platform by platform basis.

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |
|     http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting         |