[SDL] SDL 1.3 and rendering API state management

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Mon Sep 4 14:29:53 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 22:20 +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> On Monday 04 September 2006 21:07, Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> [...]
> > > You can add all sorts of rendering APIs by simply layering them on
> > > top of the SDL surface structure and blit operations, or you can
> > > go down to the pixel level and do what ever you want to any SDL
> > > surface.
> > >

> > No, as soon as you want to hardware accelerate the new
> > functionality, you have to have a least some hook to the internals.
> > Say, for example the hardware exposes a rotation function that goes
> > unused by the current SDL code. If you don't want rotation support
> > in SDL itself, but in an external library, you have to do it in
> > software. That's because SDL doesn't expose the hardware's rotation
> > function.
>
> Right. This was the first problem I ran into: I can't use SDL
> textures, as I can't get at the OpenGL texture name or Direct3D
> texture pointer.

Right there you lost me. SDL doesn't have textures. SDL has surfaces.
OpenGL has textures, and you get the texture name when you upload the
surface in OpenGL. I do not understand the situation in which SDL would
hide a texture name from you since SDL does not have textures.

Please explain. I clearly do not understand what you are saying here.

		Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob at Pendleton.com             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +